- Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT)
- Safety Engineering, Safety Services Section
- 2300 South Dirksen Parkway, Room 323
- Springfield, IL 62764
- Phone: 217-785-8643
- Email: DOT.SAFEROUTES@illinois.gov
- Website Link:
- Website Aternate:
Purpose of the Program
The program has three main goals:
- To enable and encourage children, including those with disabilities, to walk and bicycle to school.
- To make bicycling and walking to school a safer and more appealing transportation alternative, thereby encouraging a healthy and active lifestyle from an early age.
- To facilitate the planning, development, and implementation of projects and activities that will improve safety and reduce traffic, fuel consumption, and air pollution in the vicinity (within two miles) of both public and private primary and middle schools (grades K-8).
Who is Eligible
Projects are funded 80% with 20% local match required. All infrastructure improvements must be completed within two miles of a school grade K-8.
TThis program is federally funded. Please visit the Illinois SRTS website for program deadlines and information on available funding www.dot.il.gov/saferoutes
Availability of Funds
Funding cap per application: Infrastructure application cap = $250,000; Non-infrastructure application cap = $100,000.
How Funds are to be used
All infrastructure improvements must be completed within two miles of a school housing any combination of grades K-8. Non-infrastructure programs must be tageted to grades K-8.
Types of Assistance
Technical Assistance, Grants
Year Program was established