- Illinois Department of Transportation
- Rail Safety Projects Unit
- 2300 Dirksen Parkway
- Springfield, IL 62764
- Phone: 217-782-3568
- Email: DOT.LRSRail@illinois.gov
Purpose of the Program
Program considers the following rail crossing safety improvements:
- Crossing Closure
- Railroad Warning Devices for open public roadway or pedestrian crossings
- Railroad Circuitry
- Railroad Crossing Surface Renewal. This will be allowed only if the warning devices and/or circuitry are improved.
- Roadway Approaches. This will be allowed only if the warning devices and/or circuitry are improved and the existing profile grade does not meet IDOT/Illinois Commerce Commission (ICC) requirements.
- Other (Signal interconnect, grade separation, or etc.)
IDOT continues to place a strong emphasis on crossing closure, warning device, and circuitry related projects as opposed to crossing surface and roadway approach projects.
Types of Assistance