Illinois Transportation Enhancement Program (ITEP)

  • Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT)
  • 2300 S. Dirksen Parkway,
  • Springfield, IL 62764
  • Phone: (217) 785-2790
  • Fax:
  • TDD:
  • Email:
  • Website:

Purpose of the Program

The ITEP is a competitive grant reimbursement program. It is a federally funded program that requires matching funds from an eligible project sponsor. For the categories of bike and pedestrian facilities and the conversion of abandoned railroad corridors to trails, sponsors may be able to use state funds for all or a portion of the match if the local sponsor is determined to be a high need community based on the Community Map Score. To be eligible for ITEP funding, a project must demonstrate a relationship to surface transportation by either serving a transportation need or providing a transportation use or benefit. Projects for recreational purposes only are ineligible. The ITEP purpose is to provide funding for community-based projects that expand travel choices and enhance the transportation experience by improving the cultural, historic, aesthetic and environmental aspects of our transportation infrastructure. The program focuses on providing alternate modes of transportation where the scope of transportation projects goes beyond the traditional accommodations for cars, trucks and transit.

Who is Eligible

A project must qualify as one of the 12 eligible federal categories listed in the ITEP Guidelines Manual and it must relate to surface transportation to be eligible for funding. Categories include, but not limited to; bicycle & pedestrian facilities, historic preservation/rehabilitation, landscape/streetscape projects, scenic byways and environmental mitigation.

Application Process

Project sponsors may receive up to 80 percent reimbursement for eligible project costs. The remaining 20 percent (or any ineligible items) is the responsibility of the project sponsor. ITEP is a reimbursement program and not a grant. An executed Intergovernmental Agreement must be in place before reimbursable work can begin. Any work done prior will not be eligible for reimbursement. Applications are done typically every 2 to 3 years depending on funding eligibility. Projects are required to meet timelines as established by the Sunset Clause as described in the ITEP Guidelines Manual. Please see the ITEP website for detailed information.

Availability of Funds

ITEP funds are currently based on 10% of the states Surface Transportation Program (STP) amount. Annual funding is dependent on federal authorizations to the state.  No individual project cap has been established but projects exceeding $1M should consider phasing of the projects. ITEP should be considered as a supplemental funding program and not a sole source funding mechanism, especially for larger expensive projects.

How Funds are to be used

Cost Sharing. This is a federally funded program with eligible items funded at 80% with a 20% local match required. Land Acquisition is funded at 50%.

Types of Assistance

Cost Sharing and Grants

Year Program was established